Sunday, May 17, 2020

3A - Your Entrepreneurship Story

When I was 16, I decided I was going to learn calligraphy. I taught myself and bought special pens and paper to start the projects. After about 3 months, I created an Instagram to share and sell my work with people. Since then, I have done many projects such as bible lettering, kitchen and laundry signs, cork boards, wedding place cards, baby shower chalkboards, wall art, wedding signs, and more. What started as a small idea to try a new hobby, morphed into something that I love to do and am able to make extra money by doing. Even though I have been able to do all of these fun projects, I am still trying to grow and become more prevalent in the minds of people who like custom art.

I took ENT3003 this semester because I needed to take a business elective but also would like to further pursue some type of entrepreneurship in my future. Whether it be my calligraphy or an entirely different idea, I want to be able to say that I came up with something that helped people and changed how they interpreted something in everyday life. I would really like to learn what it takes to be an entrepreneur and how to pursue the target market without trying to pursue the whole population. 

This is a calligraphy series that I created to hang in apartments or dorms. This is the first one I have done, but I have 3 orders so far!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    Your lettering is beautiful. I am glad that you are trying to sell your work and wish you much success. It is amazing that things that start out as hobbies can turn into income generating "work". I think this class may be a great fit for you in learning how to take ideas that you enjoy and create something even more profitable for you. Good luck and I look forward to seeing more of your art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley,

    Wow - I am so impressed! Your artwork is gorgeous. You are definitely on to a small business you can call your own. I have always been intrigued to learn calligraphy too, however, I am not very artistic. Keep working on starting your own little business. I bet you could do quite well with wedding invitations as your friends and acquaintances start getting married. This class will probably be a big help for you to fine-tune the business side of your passion and help turn it in to a money-maker if you'd like to make some extra money while practicing your hobby.

    Bridget

    ReplyDelete