Monday, June 8, 2020

12A - Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

  1. Segment: The segment I chose is “students who live in dorms.” I wanted to interview those students who lived on campus.

  2. Interviews: The people I interviewed were all UF students who live in on-campus housing. The first talked about how hard it has been for him to find a job in Gainesville that worked with his schedule, and as a result he did not yet have a steady income. When I explained my new service, he said this would greatly help him because he'd be able to drop their current services (Hulu and Netflix) and be able to just pay for one service. The second person I talked to described how expensive it was to pay for tuition and their dorm, which has put a strain on her disposable income. This strain has caused her to rethink if she needs the streaming services that she is currently paying for. She was interested in the product due to its affordability. The last person I interviewed talked about how she has watched almost everything on Netflix and Hulu. This new service showed the promise of new shows and movies to watch. This possibility was enough for her to show interest in the service.

  3. Conclusion: Based on my interviews, it seems as though this segment has a need for my product. However, I would have to make sure that the service was relatively cheap to run so that it was cheap for students. If it was unaffordable for students, it would be a great failure. Each of the interviews displayed a different reason for why my service could greatly benefit this segment.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley! I love how you narrowed your segment to "students who live in dorms". I think you could even make it even narrower to a single bedroom, double, and triple. Your invention will make things a lot easier and cheaper for students. I think it is great to know that you're not a victim to majority fallacy. Majority fallacy is defined as going to the largest possible segment you can and both of our services narrowed our segments to reduce that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ashley! As the first interview touched on, I think it would be awesome to give students the chance to minimize subscription service and make them available in one place. I agree, it may be hard to get initial costs down, as you may have a lot of potential licensing and contracts with production companies, so you can legally stream shows and movies, but still very possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley,
    I was thinking about your segment, students who live in dorms. If there are students rooming together, what stops them from just having one of the students having your service and the other two just using the one account? Would your service be per dorm room in that case? Or maybe it would be covered in the price of housing instead of a subscription service?

    ReplyDelete