Monday, June 1, 2020

8A - Solving the Problem

As stated in the previous exercise, many UF students spend a good chunk of money on multiple streaming platforms to watch shows and movies. However, this money could be used for other things or saved for the future. To help students in reducing their monthly costs, my proposed solution is that UF creates their own streaming service. The average amount that the students I interviewed spent on streaming services a month was around $20. So, as long as the new service was less than $20 and had a good variety of shows/movies and included UF sports, I believe it would be very appealing to the target market of UF students. I also think that for the students living in dorms, this could be an add-on option that would be very eye-catching because they are already spending so much on the dorm, it would seem like a very cheap added bonus.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I think that your idea is really good. I think your idea goes with a trend that has been happening for the past couple of years: streaming services are the primary places that people consume media. I think another reason this is a good idea is because it would combine the trend with some of UF's resources. UF is able to get access to many new movies and tv shows. For instance, they were able to show "Parasite" shortly after it came out. Finally, I think $20 is a great pricing point. I spend a lot on streaming services and if I were able to get the one you proposed in lieu of some of the others, I would much happier.

    Will Templin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley,
    I think the idea definitely has merit- as a subscriber to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Xfinity- I know first hand how all these services add up. It would be great if 1 service could provide all the content that you described, especially the live sports (truthfully this is the only reason I still have cable). Testing this type of service with one university is a smart starting point, afterall Facebook started with one network and look where they are now. Good luck exploring this further.

    ReplyDelete