Monday, July 13, 2020

20A - Growing Your Social Capital

While I was thinking about doing this assignment, I realized that my new endeavor had a lot in common with the movie portion of GatorNights that UF holds on Friday nights. Both are catered to students, have to obtain the movies that they show, and have to find unique ways to advertise to reach the young audience. This being said, I used contacts from the GatorNights for each of the experts. 

Domain Expert: When I called UF to speak to someone about who puts on the movies during GatorNights, they put me on the phone with one of the people on the Reitz Union Audio Visual Team. I believe he would be the domain expert because he is trying to put on movies for college age students that will keep them engaged as I will be trying to find an array of movies and tv shows to add to my platform that will make students want to pay for it. I found this person by going to the GatorNights website and contacting them at the number provided. I asked if they thought my idea would be beneficial to the students and he said it would be with the right advertising and the right content, he thought it would be a big hit around campus. He did not expect anything in return from me. Hearing the opinion of someone else in a similar field to the one I hoped to be in, helped to validate my thought process about turning this idea into a reality. 

Market Expert: I talked to someone from the GatorNights Planning Committee, because they plan events and advertise these events to the students. I believe she would be the Market Expert because she has advertised many other events around campus and knows a lot about the college community and how to market to the student audience. I also found this person by going to the GatorNights website and using the number that was on the page and calling to speak to someone who advertises the event. I asked how successful she thought that the advertising was in bringing people to the event versus word of mouth from students who went to previous events and told their friends about it, and she stands by her advertising. She also said that the fun and colorful signs they use stick in the student's head and when Friday comes around with no plans, the students remember seeing the sign. She did not expect anything in return from me. After speaking with her, I now know more about how I should be advertising to my target audience.

Supplier Expert: Since my entrepreneurship venture is an app/streaming service, I could not complete this part because there is no supply.

Reflection: Talking to these people was a little out of my comfort zone, but overall very helpful in the process of fleshing out my idea and seeing what I needed to work on if I was going to make it a reality. I have never networked like this before, so I have nothing to compare it to.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I agree with you, networking with people is hard to do, especially if you have no connection with them at all. However, I think the approach you took was very smart. Trying to find an event that does something similar to what you want to do is a good way to approach this. I feel that networking is one of those things that you get better at with practice. Great work.

    Will Templin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley,

    I am glad you found value in your first official foray into networking. Gaining comfort in this skill will serve you very well in your future. Your new contacts seem to fit your business proposal well and helped you to gain insight into how to market and who to market to. As for the supplier side, maybe including someone who has developed an app or has found success marketing an ap would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley,

    From reading your blog post, I can see you made a couple of new networking contacts that will serve you well in the future. That was smart to connect with them both. I can see where finding a supplier contact is tricky. What about reaching out to the media team or the department that develops mobile apps? That could be a potential start to a connection for you.

    Good luck,
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,
    I can also relate to your difficulty in finding a "supplier" contact. I was impressed that you were able to find the other two contacts. I thought that your contacts fit your business proposition quite well. As for finding a contact to fit your role for supplier, I recommend looking on LinkedIn for people who have experience with web development.

    ReplyDelete