Saturday, July 25, 2020

27A - Reading Reflection No. 3

I read "Miracles Happen" by Mary Kay Ash

  1. The thing that surprised me the most was how hard it was for a woman to be taken seriously in a professional setting. The amount of time and effort that a woman had to put into her look to be garnered as respectable and approachable in a position was very overwhelming for me since I do not wear makeup and basically live in nike shorts and t-shirts right now. The thing I admired most about Mary Kay Ash was that she put her faith above everything else. I loved her philosophy of "God first, family second, and career third." I really didn't have anything that I don't admire about her. She was a very reputable person in her profession and I admire her as a role model for never giving up on her dream and working hard each and everyday. Mary Kay faced adversity daily in the workplace simply for being a woman. This was seen as a disadvantage in the business world and was something that she had to fight to disprove everyday. She also faced much failure before starting her company, but she was a firm believer in failing forward. This was a philosophy that meant that the failure you encounter will only bring you closer to your goal.

  2. Mary Kay was a very competitive woman. She never let anyone tell her that she couldn't do something and she strived each and everyday to be better. Not better than the people around her, but better than she was the day before. She was her own best competition. She was also a very hard worker. She used to get up at 5am each day because those 3 extra hours she had before her family woke up times 6 days a week amounted to an extra 18 hours a week, which was about 2 extra work days. And when she woke up this early, she would create a list of the top 6 things she needed to get done each day. By doing this, it allowed her to focus on the most necessary things and not stray too far from the course of action that she needed to take to be successful. 

  3. I thought that the set up of the book was quite confusing since it was not written chronologically. The book was written more like specific things that she wanted to teach the audience and while doing so she told stories about her personal encounters. So, it was kind of hard to figure out where she was talking about in the timeline of her life when she told specific stories. Other than that, it was a very entertaining and enjoyable book with a lot of great advice.

  4. I would ask Mary Kay:
    1. What is one thing you wish that your husband could have been alive to see in the growth of the company?
    2. Do you regret any of the early decisions that you made for the company?

  5. Mary Kay's opinion of hard work is that it is absolutely necessary and will allow you to compete with yourself on a daily basis. She was a single mother of three children and she also had to work. She was constantly working hard at her job and in her home. I agree that hard work is extremely important. I think you need to apply yourself each day to reach the goals that you have set for yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I didn't read this book, but Mary Kay seems to share a lot of traits with Andrew Carnegie (the person I read about). Both saw hard work as "a must" when it comes to being successful. Also, they both had to overcome large disadvantages. Carnegie's family immigrated to the United States when he was young, so he had to acclimate to a new environment with new norms and values. Great work!

    Will Templin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley,

    This book sounds intriguing. I love your mention of how Mary Kay would wake up hours before her family each day for focused work. When you think of the cumulative time she captured for the week, it is remarkable. During the quarantine pandemic, I have found myself getting up and starting work around 6:15am each day. I able to get 2 hours of quiet work done before my coworkers get to their computers and start messaging me. It’s incredible what I can accomplish. I need to remember to read this book soon – it sounds super interesting.

    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley! Mary Kay is one of the entrepreneurs that shows what it takes to be a woman in business. What is important to emphasize is that entrepreneurs are forces to be reckoned with. She reminds me of a KeyNote speaker I saw at UF, Gigi, from Gigi's Cupcakes. Her story is that she took out her last bit of money and put in the cupcake business because it didn't hit the South (Tennessee) yet, and it became successful. She was a house cleaner who dropped out of college to pursue music, but she discovered her niche.

    ReplyDelete